Collected below are various samples of my work.
My CV is available here.
Fate of Ages:
I’m currently a designer for the indie RPG Fate of Ages.
DM-Celeste - DOWNLOAD: DM-Celeste (.zip 22.4 MB)
UNN Celeste (DM-Celeste) is a Deathmatch level for Unreal Tournament 3, designed for 2 to 4 players it is set aboard an abandoned cargo transport in deep space. Constructed on a linearly symmetrical layout with an upper and lower level and two cargo compartments branching off to either side.
“The explosion took out the entire bridge, everything forward of frame 5 is open to vacuum. The breach sealed automatically so at least some of the crew should have survived but there’s no sign of them. What the hell happened here?”
- Salvage Report of Senior Engineer Mark Fairbanks.
DM-Grotto - DOWNLOAD: DM-Grotto (.zip 18.6 MB)
Grotto (DM-Grotto) is a Deathmatch level for Unreal Tournament 3, designed for 2 to 6 players it is set within an abandoned temple network deep under the surface of an alien moon. Built around a series of platforms, linked by stairs, bridges and jump pads the goal was for a fast and frantic map reminiscent of Quake III Arena‘s Q3DM17 “The Longest Yard”.
Miles beneath the surface of a barren moon, too remote to have anything beyond a catalogue number, this ancient temple network was once a place of silent contemplation. Uncovered by the Liandri Corporation twenty years previously the only thing left to contemplate now is how many seconds you have left to live.
Dynamic – DOWNLOAD: Dynamic (Alpha 3.0.0) Bin (.zip 1.94 MB)
Dynamic (development name), is a two player small scale strategy game built in C++ using OpenGL and DirectX 9.0 (DirectAudio and DirectInput). Current version (Alpha 3.0.0) includes a Level Editor, Dynamite (development name), a save-restore system, fog of war and an AI controlled opponent.
- Groping The Map in each instalment I present an in depth analysis of a single player level that I feel is particularly well designed and implemented. I examine structure, encounter placement, aesthetics, and associated design issues.
Pen and Paper RPG Design:
- House Rules a stand alone scenario (With hooks into a subsequent campaign) for a role playing game using the World of Darkness Storyteller system. Arriving at the Gwen Kenning Pauper House the players are caught in a twisted game of cat and mouse with a serial killer of unique means, if tragically mundane motivations. The scenario is designed to be combat light, with a focus on investigation and dialogue.
- The Argument a dialogue heavy short story about a specific argument between a young heterosexual couple.
- Rendezvous with Fortune, this is a short story set in the Honorverse low on dialogue the focus is on internal motivations and character development, building to an action sequence. The setting is pre-existing though the plot and all the characters are of my own creation.